In the ministry of parenting and being children in a family, there are ways of working in family traditions or just a way to â€œlighten upâ€ the family experience. Remember, being a family in the coming millennium takes some work; consider the following:
- Rent a funny movie and watch it together.
- Put a funny message on your telephone answering machine.
- Play a game of â€œPictionaryâ€ with your family.
- If you have a home video camera, make a family â€œmusic videoâ€ to send to relatives. Make outrageous costumes, use household times as musical instruments, and lip sync a rock and roll record. Let the kids be the lead singer(s).
- Make ice cream sundaes for desert, but secretly make them with a scoop of mashed potatoes instead of ice cream.
- Hide love notes in your teenagerâ€™s underwear drawer.
- Write a note to your child/parent on his/her bed with jellybeans.
- Organize your family’s personal quest for the â€œworldâ€™s greatest pizzaâ€ by visiting every pizza place over the next two or three months.
- Come up with your own family holiday to celebrate once a year, like â€œNational (your family name) Dayâ€. Make it a day in the middle of the week (like the third Wednesday of October each year when everyone can cut school and do something fun together as a family.
- The best activity to do as an entire family: celebrate Holy Mass together each Sunday. It is one of the â€œgluesâ€ that keeps the Christian family strong not only in your home but in our culture.
May God bless your family activities together!!!