For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given. — Isaiah 9:5
Lord Jesus, as we gaze upon You, sleeping peacefully in the manger, we feel a deep peace radiate from You. A holy calm fills our hearts. You have kept Your promise, You are here, with us now.
Lord Jesus, you were not afraid to come to us; help us to be not afraid in coming to You. Give us Your deep inner peace that we might impart joy, hope, and courage to all we encounter. Open our hearts to see You more clearly, receive You more deeply, and follow You more willingly. Increase our capacity to give and receive Your love. May this Christmas Day and Season warm our hearts all year.
Who is Wise?
Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the East, and have come to worship him.” — Matthew 2:1-2
Millions saw the brilliant star. But only a few Wise Men left the comforts of their homes to find out what it meant.
Thousands, including Herod and the Jewish scholars, knew the Bible had predicted that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. But only the Wise Men went there.
Millions will hear Christmas Carols this season, but only the wise will listen. Thousands will attend special services and Solemn Holy Mass, but only the wise will go to Bethlehem (The House of Bread) and find the Savior.
Millions will read the Christmas story in newspapers, on-line, in the Bible, or in church programs, but only the wise will take action.
What did the Wise Men do?
- They had evidence that something important was happening, and they took action.
- They sought out and listened to those who had the facts.
- They responded appropriately: They rejoiced; they worshipped; they gave gifts.
How can we be wise?
- Recognize that the coming of Jesus Christ was a tremendous event and do something about it – take action! â€¨And the angel said to them, “Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.â€ Luke 2:10-11
- Find out the facts. Seek and listen. Go to the Bible or ask those who know Jesus as Savior Our eternal destiny deserves serious thought and consideration. â€¨[B]ut these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name. John 20:31
- Respond! Rejoice, worship, offer our gifts and talants to doing the work Jesus asks of us. Start in repentance of sin and be humble before Jesus Christ, the King of kings, the mighty Judge, the Redeemer of mankind, who loved us so much that He came to die for our salvation. We will be richly rewarded! We too will find Wisdom! â€¨You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart — Jeremiah 29:13
O come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! — Psalm 95:6
We, the wise, have come this Christmas to find Him, the greatest gift. We have recognized that something has happened, sought the facts, and continue to respond. Jesus taught them saying: “Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rockâ€ — Matthew 5:2 and Matthew 7:24
Thank you to all who have come to share this Holy Christmas Day in our community. Our community is your community! It is a place where we journey together to follow Jesus, to learn and grow together, and to serve each other and our larger community. A small church, on a small street, with a big and welcoming heart for you. May God bless you in every way.
Deacon Jim and the Parish Committee.