The Kosciuszko Foundation’s Sembrich Voice Competition will take place on March 29th and 30th. Applications will be accepted through February 20, 2014.
The Sembrich Voice Competition honors the great Polish soprano Marcella Kochanska Sembrich, who made her Metropolitan Opera debut in 1883. After an enormously successful career, the popular singer founded the vocal programs at both the Juilliard School and the Curtis Institute. Previous winners of the competition include Barbara Hendricks and Jan Opalach.
Those who are accepted as contestants will be notified in early March 2014. They will then be required to submit a program for the preliminaries.
To enroll, complete an application [pdf] and return to the Kosciuszko Foundation:
Marcella Sembrich Voice Scholarship Competition 2014
The Kosciuszko Foundation
15 East 65th Street
New York, New York 10065
Fax (212) 628-4552
The Competition is open to singers 18 to 35 who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and full-time students with international visas. Applicants must include:
1. Resume and short bio – you may (but are not required to) include any other pertinent information you might like to share.
2. A copy of proof of age and citizenship or residency status.
3. One CD approx. 10 minutes in length. This can be any repertoire that you are comfortable with. Print your name and selection on the CD box. If you wish your CD returned to you, Include a stamped, addressed mailer.
4. One black and white photo of yourself suitable for reproduction, no smaller than 3 x 5 inches.
5. A non-refundable application fee of $35 payable by check or money-order to The Kosciuszko Foundation.
You need not submit suggested repertoire for the audition until you are notified that you are accepted as a contestant.
Those who are accepted as contestants will be notified in early March 2014. They will then be required to submit a program for the preliminaries to be held on Saturday, March 29, 2014:
1 18th century aria (Bach/Handel to Mozart) 1 operatic aria of your choice
1 song by Stanislaw Moniuszko*
1 19th century romantic selection
The required repertoire for the Finals to be held Sunday, March 30, 2014 are:
1 19th century operatic aria
1 20th century operatic aria
1 20th century Polish song*
1 one additional song from any 20th century repertoire
You can find suggested repertoire and sources for the Polish songs and Moniuszko arias in foreign languages at the Marcella Sembrich Voice Competition website.
If an unusual or rare work is selected, copies should be provided to the Foundation competition for the pianist and the judges.
Polish works can be sung in any language (with a minimum of two verses). All works should be sung from memory, in whichever order the contestant chooses.