All are welcome to come and join in our Lenten observances at Holy Name of Jesus in Schenectady, your small church on a small street with a big and welcoming heart.
We begin Lent this Wednesday, February 13th with a Service of Worship and Holy Communion along with the blessing and imposition of Ashes at 7:30pm.
Stations of the Cross
Journey along with Jesus as we pray through the Stations of the Cross every Friday, February 15th through March 22nd at 7:30pm.
Come join in weekly worship every Sunday at 9:30am. Jesus’ community gathers each week to learn about His life and mission, His teachings, and to show Him proper worship. We also have weekly School of Christian Living classes for children and youth. Investigate the claims of Jesus with us as we strive to know and serve him better. Whether you are working, studying or living in the Schenectady area or throughout New York’s Capital Region, we look forward to welcoming you.
The practice of Lent motivates us to expand our charity towards our brothers and sisters. Holy Name is participating in a Directed Giving program for Lent. Food and gathered items are delivered to Schenectady area food programs:
Our Directed Giving Program suggested offerings:
- Ash Wednesday Week, Feb. 13-16, LET’S DO LUNCH Tuna and Mayonnaise, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Soup and Crackers.
- 1st Week of Lent, Feb. 17-23, FEELING FRUITY Canned Peaches, Pears, Fruit Cocktail, Pineapple or Applesauce, 100% Juice in Cans.
- 2nd Week of Lent, Feb. 24 – Mar. 2, VEGGIE MANIA Canned Corn, Canned Peas, Canned Beans, Canned Potatoes, Canned Sweet Potatoes.
- 3rd Week of Lent, Mar. 3-9, DINNER IS SERVED Canned Beef Stew, Canned Pork and Beans, Instant Potatoes/Stuffing Mix, Macaroni and Cheese, Spaghetti or other Pasta, Canned Spaghetti Sauce.
- 4th Week of Lent, Mar. 10-16, SCHOOL NEEDS Pencils and Pens, Folders and Notebooks, Crayons,
Tape and Elmer’s Glue.
- Passion Week, Mar. 17-23, BABY MAKES THREE Disposable Diapers, Baby Wipes, Liquid Formula, Jars of Baby Food.
- Holy Week, Mar. 24-30, SPECIAL NEEDS DIET Low Sodium Soups, Canned Fruit in Juices (not syrup), Canned Tuna in Water, Low Sodium Crackers, Natural Applesauce.
Fast and Abstinence
During Lent we also abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays. This small practice of denial helps us in regulating our minds and bodies. We need to practice for all endeavors, whether sports or hobbies. So too spiritually. If we practice small denials we are better prepared to reject things that are truly damaging to our lives.