This year we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our parish’s founding, in Schenectady.
Our parish was initially founded as St. Joseph’s parish on Raymond Street in Schenectady in 1921 and was formally incorporated on June 5, 1922.
St. Joseph’s parish experienced a fire on Good Friday in April 1935, and it had hoped to remain open to serve the Northside neighborhood. At that time land had also been purchased on Pearl St. in the Mont Pleasant neighborhood for the foundation of a second parish, Holy Name of Jesus.
Work started immediately on the construction of a new parish based on architectural drawings by E.G. Atkinson. The members of the new parish built the edifice by hand. Construction costs were initially estimated at $261,625.
Unfortunately, the continuance of St. Joseph’s parish could not be fulfilled, so the two parishes were combined and Holy Name of Jesus was formally incorporated on July 27, 1937.
We will continue to bring you snippets of history throughout 2021 and will keep you informed as to the many spiritual, liturgical, and social events planned for the celebration.
Recognizing Our Benefactors
From the beauty of our worship space, to the music we sing unto God, to more everyday things needful to a church, we could not have served for 100 years without the faithful support of each and every parishioner and the beautiful gifts given by benefactors. It is why we pray for our parishioners and benefactors in a special way at every Holy Mass.
Altar and Sanctuary Items
- Large candlesticks – Donated in Memory of John Koza
- Large Cross – Donated by Joseph and Lillian Lazinski and Peter and Helen Klimczak
- Chalice and Patten – Donated on the Silver Anniversary of Ordination of Fr. B. Sikorski by Friends in Poland. Refinishing donated by the Tatlock Family.
- Chalice and Patten – Donated in Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec. Refinishing donated by the Panfil and DePaula Families.
- Ciborium – In Memory of James A. O’Neill
- Luna Custodial – In Memory of Andrew Bortniak, 1994
- Pyx – In Loving Memory of Ernesto Tamburello by Giuseppina (Agostara) Tamburello
- Intinction Set – Donated in Memory of Marilyn ‘Lyn’ Podkulski by her loving husband, Stanley Podkulski
- Intinction Set – Donated in Memory of Stanley J. Podkulski
- Holy Water Aspersorium and Aspergillum – Donated by Emily Ruchalski
- Advent Altar Linens – Donated in Memory of Edward and Josephine Panfil from Memorial Contributions.
- Presider’s Chair – Gift of the Adoration Society
- Deacon’s chair – In Memory of Felex and Ida Szatynski
- Subdeacon’s Chair – Gift of Henry and Helen Kubinski and Daughters
- Ambo – Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Walkowicz
- Szopka – Designed, built, and donated by Tadeusz Kszesniak
- Silk, lace, and gold Easter Altar Linens – Donated by Mary (Mariana) Zobre in memory of her husband Peter
- Jeweled Crown for the Blessed Virgin – Donated by Gladys E. Ordyk in memory of Mary Roicki
- Large Votive Stand – Donated in Memory of Lawrence Panfil
- Large Votive Stand – Donated in Memory of John Koza
- Missal Stand – To The Memory of Janet Maliszewski by Friends and Family
- Patten – In Memory of Albina Wasiclewska
- English Missal (1962) – A Gift From Koleta J. Danahy
- Cope – In Memory of Mary (Pytko) Pawelek
Stained Glass Windows
- Glorious Cross – In Memory of John and Eva Fajkowski and Family
- Resurrected Christ – In Memory of John Szwetkowski Sr. and Son Edward
- Agony in the Garden – Given by the Ruchalski Family
- St. Joseph the Workman – Given by the Lazinski, Chruscinski, Klimczak, and Kolek Families
- Mary and the Infant Jesus – Gift of the Choir Harmonia
- Good Shepherd – In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec
- Sacred Heart – In Memory of Lawrence and Catherine Panfil
- Adoration Monstrance – Gift of the Adoration Society
- Holy Eucharist – Gift of the Maria Konopnicka Society
- Symbol of the YMS of R – Gift of the Young Men’s Society of the Resurrection
- Wheat and Grapes – In Memory of Franciszek and Rozalia Rogalski and Family
- Donated by Marlyn Fitzner and Dorothy Schmid in Memory of Their Husbands
- In memory of Julia Kopec by Josephine and Edward Panfil
- In loving memory of Donna and Charles Angle by Lawrence and Donna Panfil
Sacramental Record Register
- In Loving Memory of Frank and Mary Boniecki by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Wandless
- Donated by Peter and Helen Klimczak and Julia Kopec
- In Memory of Stanley J. Podkulski by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley P. Podkulski
- Gift of the Maria Konopnicka Society
- In Memory of Leon Lasewski by Helen Podbielski
- In Memory of Andrew and Josephine Srebrzak by Joseph Srebrzak
- In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec by Edward and Josephine Panfil
- In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec by Anthony and Estelle Elka
- Gift of the Adoration Society
- In Memory of Aniela Krzyzak by Son
- Donated by John and Tekla Yaszewski
- Donated by The Gozdzialski Family and Stephen and Irene Naparty
- In Memory of Edward and Antonia Gabis
- In Memory of Anthony and Apolonia Labunowski by Mr. and Mrs. John Nowotny
- In Memory of John Wyszynski by Mr. and Mrs. M. Gronczniak
- In Memory of Louise Seastrand, Brandon Seastrand, and George Graves Jr. by Christopher Scepkowski, Sharon Sennit, and Ann Shano
- Donated by Mr. and Mrs. M Liska and Son
- Donated by Lawrence and Donna Panfil
- Marilyn Hietala – in memory of Bob Hietala & Rev. Jonathan Trela – 2 books.
- Marlyn Fitzner – in memory of Hellen Pallette & Edward Fitzner Jr. – 2 books.
- Liz & Pete Battaglia – in memory of the Battaglia & Emanuele families – 2 books.
- Mr. & Mrs. Stanley Podkulski – in memory of Stanley J. Podkulski, Veronica Podkulski & Anthony A. Elka – 3 books.
- Mr. & Mrs. Ferdinand Ruchalski – in memory of John Gozdzialski – 2 books.
- Carol & Eileen Kupiec – in memory of Walter & Helen Kupiec – 3 books.
- Choir Harmonia – in memory of Josephine Panfil – 12 books.
Hymns for the Family of God Hymnals
|In Memory Of or Dedicated To||Number of Books||From|
|Richard Beighley||1||Stella Beighley|
|Helen Biega||1||Eugene and Marie Maliszewski|
|Frank and Mary Boniecki||4||Ida Wandless|
|Mr. and Mrs. Wacław Chriscienski||1||Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lazinski|
|Scott Colvin||1||Lester and Thelma Colvin|
|Bolesław Dworakowski||1||Joseph and Nellie Gabis|
|Mr. and Mrs. Frank Elwertowski||1||Mrs. Helen Garve and Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Maliszewski and Family|
|Mr. and Mrs. John Frandsen||1||Mr. and Mrs. Henry Shamberger|
|Thomas and Dorthea Fulcher||3||Henry and Dorothy Schmid|
|Deceased of the Gabis Family||2||Mr. and Mrs. Edward Jamro|
|Charles Garve||1||Mrs. Helen Garve and Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Maliszewski and Family|
|Helena Gavryck||1||Joseph Gavryck|
|Georgeianna Gille||1||Lisa Martin|
|John and Clara Godzialski||1||John and Irene Gozdzialski|
|John and Henrietta Haesloop||1||Fr. Jon and Doris Trela|
|Mikolej and Victoria Jendzieczyk||1||Carol Kupiec|
|Frank Kopec||4||Mrs. Emily Kopec|
|Joseph Kopec||1||Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Kopec|
|Julia Kopec||1||Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Kopec|
|Walter Kupiec||2||Carol Kupiec|
|Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lazinski||1||Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lazinski|
|Janet Maliszewski||1||James and Dorothy Morrison|
|Janet Maliszewski||1||Edward Maliszewski|
|Janet Maliszewski||1||Angelo and Diane Orlando|
|Janet Maliszewski||1||Robert and Kimberly Maliszewski|
|Raymond and Veronica Maliszewski||1||Eugene and Marie Maliszewski|
|Raymond and Veronica Maliszewski||1||Edward Maliszewski|
|Joseph and Stacia Mendyk||1||John and Irene Gozdzialski|
|Joseph Mycek||1||John and Clara Szwetkowski|
|Mary Mycek||1||John and Clara Szwetkowski|
|Gladys Ordyk||3||Edward and Josephine Panfil|
|Gladys Ordyk||7||Mrs. Emily Kopec|
|Gladys Ordyk||1||Stacia Roicki|
|Gladys Ordyk||1||Mr. and Mrs. Francis Curtis|
|Gladys Ordyk||3||Dennis and Jane Kopec|
|Gladys Ordyk||1||Lawrence and Donna Panfil|
|Gladys Ordyk||1||Josephine Panfil|
|Helen Oswald||1||Stephen and Irene Naparty|
|Catherine Pepicelli||1||Eugene and Marie Maliszewski|
|Bronisław and Rozalia Ruchalski||1||Thaddeus and Mary Ruchalski|
|Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Shamberger and Joseph Jr.||1||Mr. and Mrs. Henry Shamberger|
|Stephen and Mary Stollar||3||Stanley and Betty Trela|
|Eugene Sudol||1||Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Trela|
|John Szwetkowski||1||John and Clara Szwetkowski|
|Mr. and Mrs. Richard Taylor||1||Mr. and Mrs. Henry Shamberger|
|Richard and Maryann Taylor||1||Mr. and Mrs. Henry Shamberger|
|Caroline Trela||1||Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Trela|
|Tobias Trela||1||Fr. Jon and Doris Trela|
|Harry Wandless||9||Ida Wandless|
|Frank Wilk||2||Mrs. Anoinette Wilk|
|Frank Wilk||1||Ms. Eileen Kupiec|