This year we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of our parish’s founding, in Schenectady.
Our parish was initially founded as St. Joseph’s parish on Raymond Street in Schenectady in 1921 and was formally incorporated on June 5, 1922.
St. Joseph’s parish experienced a fire on Good Friday in April 1935, and it had hoped to remain open to serve the Northside neighborhood. At that time land had also been purchased on Pearl St. in the Mont Pleasant neighborhood for the foundation of a second parish, Holy Name of Jesus.
Work started immediately on the construction of a new parish based on architectural drawings by E.G. Atkinson. The members of the new parish built the edifice by hand. Construction costs were initially estimated at $261,625.
Unfortunately, the continuance of St. Joseph’s parish could not be fulfilled, so the two parishes were combined and Holy Name of Jesus was formally incorporated on July 27, 1937.
We will continue to bring you snippets of history throughout 2021 and will keep you informed as to the many spiritual, liturgical, and social events planned for the celebration.
Recognizing Our Benefactors
From the beauty of our worship space, to the music we sing unto God, to more everyday things needful to a church, we could not have served for 100 years without the faithful support of each and every parishioner and the beautiful gifts given by benefactors. It is why we pray for our parishioners and benefactors in a special way at every Holy Mass.
Altar and Sanctuary Items
- Large candlesticks – Donated in Memory of John Koza
- Large Cross – Donated by Joseph and Lillian Lazinski and Peter and Helen Klimczak
- Chalice and Patten – Donated on the Silver Anniversary of Ordination of Fr. B. Sikorski by Friends in Poland. Refinishing donated by the Tatlock Family.
- Chalice and Patten – Donated in Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec. Refinishing donated by the Panfil and DePaula Families.
- Ciborium – In Memory of James A. O’Neill
- Luna Custodial – In Memory of Andrew Bortniak, 1994
- Intinction Set – Donated in Memory of Marilyn ‘Lyn’ Podkulski by her loving husband, Stanley Podkulski
- Intinction Set – Donated in Memory of Stanley J. Podkulski
- Holy Water Aspersorium and Aspergillum – Donated by Emily Ruchalski
- Advent Altar Linens – Donated in Memory of Edward and Josephine Panfil from Memorial Contributions.
- Presider’s Chair – Gift of the Adoration Society
- Deacon’s chair – In Memory of Felex and Ida Szatynski
- Subdeacon’s Chair – Gift of Henry and Helen Kubinski and Daughters
- Ambo – Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Walkowicz
Stained Glass Windows
- Glorious Cross – In Memory of John and Eva Fajkowski and Family
- Resurrected Christ – In Memory of John Szwetkowski Sr. and Son Edward
- Agony in the Garden – Given by the Ruchalski Family
- St. Joseph the Workman – Given by the Lazinski, Chruscinski, Klimczak, and Kolek Families
- Mary and the Infant Jesus – Gift of the Choir Harmonia
- Good Shepherd – In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec
- Sacred Heart – In Memory of Lawrence and Catherine Panfil
- Adoration Monstrance – Gift of the Adoration Society
- Holy Eucharist – Gift of the Maria Konopnicka Society
- Symbol of the YMS of R – Gift of the Young Men’s Society of the Resurrection
- Wheat and Grapes – In Memory of Franciszek and Rozalia Rogalski and Family
- Donated by Marlyn Fitzner and Dorothy Schmid in Memory of Their Husbands
- In memory of Julia Kopec by Josephine and Edward Panfil
- In loving memory of Donna and Charles Angle by Lawrence and Donna Panfil
- Donated by Peter and Helen Klimczak and Julia Kopec
- In Memory of Stanley J. Podkulski by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley P. Podkulski
- Gift of the Maria Konopnicka Society
- In Memory of Leon Lasewski by Helen Podbielski
- In Memory of Andrew and Josephine Srebrzak by Joseph Srebrzak
- In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec by Edward and Josephine Panfil
- In Memory of Joseph and Julia Kopec by Anthony and Estelle Elka
- Gift of the Adoration Society
- In Memory of Aniela Krzyzak by Son
- Donated by John and Tekla Yaszewski
- Donated by The Gozdzialski Family and Stephen and Irene Naparty
- In Memory of Edward and Antonia Gabis
- In Memory of Anthony and Apolonia Labunowski by Mr. and Mrs. John Nowotny
- In Memory of John Wyszynski by Mr. and Mrs. M. Gronczniak
- In Memory of Louise Seastrand, Brandon Seastrand, and George Graves Jr. by Christopher Scepkowski, Sharon Sennit, and Ann Shano
- Donated by Mr. and Mrs. M Liska and Son
- Donated by Lawrence and Donna Panfil
- Marilyn Hietala – in memory of Bob Hietala & Rev. Jonathan Trela
- Marlyn Fitzner – in memory of Hellen Pallette & Edward Fitzner Jr.
- Liz & Pete Battaglia – in memory of the Battaglia & Emanuele families
- Mr. & Mrs. Stanley Podkulski – in memory of Stanley J. Podkulski, Veronica Podkulski & Anthony A. Elka
- Mr. & Mrs. Ferdinand Ruchalski – in memory of John Gozdzialski
- Carol & Eileen Kupiec – in memory of Walter & Helen Kupiec
- Choir Harmonia – in memory of Josephine Panfil