Bible Study for the First Week of Lent
- 2/21 – Psalm 51 – Do I believe in the liberating and recreating power of God’s forgiveness? Prayer starter: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you. But in your abundant mercy, cleanse me from my sins and teach me your ways in the secret of my heart.
- 2/22 – Psalm 90 – What is my relationship to time: Do I see time primarily as a gift or as a problem? Prayer starter: We pray, O Lord, that each day of our lives be illuminated by your loving presence and may bring us satisfaction and joy for the work of our hands.
- 2/23 – Psalm 118 – Am I open to testifying before the community to God’s goodness for the many times he brought me back to life? Prayer starter: We give you thanks, O Lord, for your enduring love and kindness. Save us from the threats of evil and death so that we may enjoy new life and rejoice in your salvation.
- 2/24 – Psalm 150 – Do I praise God often enough and with heartfelt conviction? Prayer starter: Let me praise you, O Lord, with the music of my life and join in the symphony of praise of creation and of all those who worship you.
- 2/25 – Genesis 12 & Genesis 18:1-15 – How has a sense of humor proved essential to my spiritual life? Prayer starter: God of joy and laughter, help us not to take ourselves too seriously. Give us the gift of a lighter heart so that we might share the joke and ease the burden of others.
- 2/26 – Genesis 16 & Genesis 21:1-21 – How does God make use of the missteps I have made in the past? Prayer starter: When we follow the path you set for us, Lord, you guide us with your truth. And when we step off your path, you set about creating a new way for us with your mercy.
- 2/27 – Genesis 24-27 – How active am I in assisting the divine will, as I understand it? Prayer starter: God of surprises we do not always know you in your many manifestations in this world. Help us to recognize you in the unlikely place and in the preposterous person.
Leave a Reply